Pigeon Chess Set

There's a saying that you shouldn't play chess with pigeons... but you know what? I will! Literally! And you can too with this silly chess set I created...


To start off, I really like pigeons. I think they're cute birds, with the fancy pigeon breeds being very interestingly shaped and diverse, and I wanted to take that saying I mentioned literally. 

When making the pieces, I wanted to take some characteristics of the pigeons and apply them to the functions and the look of the chess pieces.








The birds and pieces go as follows:

King -- Capuchine Pigeon, this bird looked really fancy like it was wearing a robe

Queen -- Fantail Pigeon, this bird also looked fancy and elegant

Bishop -- Ramsey Loft Pigeon, has some head feathers that I could exaggerate on the piece to look similar to how the bishop looks

Knight -- English Carrier Pigeon, has a long neck, and I could model it rearing its head like the knight piece, and this bird is known for its far flying distance, and though it would be 

Rook -- The common Pigeon, which is also named Rock dove, which sounds similar to rook and is the less fancier pigeon 

Pawns -- eggs of the pigeons

When modelling, I tried to exaggerate and simplify the shapes of the bird, keeping in mind that it was to be 3D printed. I also wanted it to be simple in design over all.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reverse Engineer Project Process 2

Reverse Engineer Object Process 1

SURFACE DESIGN: LASER CUTTING